Out of 13 Rescued from Flooded Cave in Thailand

Onlookers watch and cheer during the rescue operation

Onlookers watch and cheer during the rescue operation

The entire operation to rescue all 13 could last two to four days, depending on weather and water conditions, said army Maj.

Kittichok Kankeaw, a teammate of Nattawut Takamsai, one of the trapped boys, said he would try to assist his friend to catch up at school.

The four boys pulled from the cave Sunday in an urgent and unsafe operation that involved them diving through the cave's tight and twisting passages were in good health.

Authorities have repeatedly said the rain could re-flood crucial parts of the cave complex that have been drained and make the escape route much harder or even impossible to navigate. "We worked faster. I'm so happy", Narongsak said. "This morning they complained that they are hungry and they asked for fried basil with rice", said rescue mission commander Narongsak Osottanakorn.

A video published by the Thai PBS channel on Monday also showed a person on a stretcher - most likely the fifth boy - being transferred to a helicopter.

They were the second batch to undertake the perilous journey out of Tham Luang cave in Mae Sai district in Chiang Rai, after the first, weakest four left on Sunday in a similarly successful extraction.

Parents say they haven't been told which boys were taken out of the cave, and have not been allowed to visit them in hospital.

A Royal Thai Police helicopter carrying rescued schoolboys lands at a military airport in the northern province of Chiang Rai, Thailand, July 8, 2018.

Читайте также: Notorious thief flees French jail by helicopter

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop told reporters in Australia that anaesthetist and experienced cave diver Richard Harris is working with the Thai medical team inside the cave "to make the decisions about the order in which the boys were to be extracted". Monsoon flooding cut off their escape and prevented rescuers from finding them for nearly 10 days. Additionally, a weir, or low dam, was built outside the entrance to keep water levels low, as heavy monsoon rains threatened to fill it and the 2.4-mile escape route.

In comments released by the government, Interior Minister Anupong Paojinda said officials were meeting Monday morning about the next stage of the operation and how to extract the remaining nine people from the cave in the country's north.

Further three boys were rescued on Tuesday.

All those rescued from the Luang Khun Nam Nang Non cave are to be flown or transported by ambulance to the Chiang Rai Prachanukroh Hospital. Two of them possibly have a lung infection but all eight are generally "healthy and smiling", he said. Relatives were able to see them through a glass partition. All four boys are being treated at a hospital in Chiang Rai, the nearest major city.

But the efforts to rescue the boys - aged between 11 and 16 - have proved a monumental challenge.

Four of the boys were safely rescued on Sunday after rescuers carried out a risky operation, amid fears the waters will rise again to a unsafe level.

"Yesterday, our rescue operation began at 10.18am and we delivered the last boy at the hospital at 9.30pm, which is about 11 hours", Narongsak said.

And Gianna Infantino, the president of Federation Internationale de Football Association, soccer's governing body, has invited the boys to the World Cup final in Moscow on Sunday.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Recommended News

We are pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news.
Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper.
Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.